Eryldene is an early 20th century historic house and garden located at 17 McIntosh Street, Gordon in northern Sydney. It is recognised as one of the nation's most important heritage properties.
The house was designed by visionary architect William Hardy Wilson for Professor E G Waterhouse who created its internationally acclaimed camellia garden. Eryldene is listed on the National Estate and the New South Wales Heritage Register.
Eryldene was the family home of Professor Waterhouse and his wife Janet. It was built in 1914 for the Waterhouse's and their four sons. The family lived in the house until the death of Professor Waterhouse in 1977.
A private trust comprising family members, Ku-ring-gai Council, the Australian Camellia Research Society and concerned Sydney residents was established in 1979 to acquire and manage the property. The Eryldene Trust assumed ownership in 1981.
The garden is regarded as the spiritual home of the camellia in Australia. Professor Waterhouse planted, researched and propagated camellias earning him international recognition and bringing the camellia back to popularity in Australia.
Professor Waterhouse was also influential in the worlds of art, design, architecture and linguistics and during his life Eryldene became a lively centre for discussion and influence.
Eryldene is open throughout the year for open weekends and special events and is available for booked tours by groups. Click here to find out abour current open days and events.
The garden is also available for hire for weddings, family occasions, commercial events and photography shoots. Click on Venue Hire for more information.
One very important link to note:
Open Gardens Australia – a not for profit organisation that opens Australia’s most inspiring private gardens